Thursday, May 14, 2009

Financial Woahs


||Zune Says - Vybz Kartel - Dolla Sign||

After deciding to allow my job to schedule me four days a week instead of five, someone looked at me and said, "Oh, you can do that because you're rich."

Me? Rich? Seriously?

Have you looked at my car lately? If I were a rich girl - nanananananananananananana!!
I wouldn't have a suped up 93 Civic as a dream car. Yeah, I bought it cuz I wanted it - I could have gotten something else, but times didn't call for a brand new whip - so I didn't get one. I let my job cut my hours, because it increases our labor budget, and I get paid for it in our bonuses. I'm no fool - and I need my money.

Have you seen my list of hustles? I won't even bother to list them, cuz if you know me - you know all the things I do in my spare time. Which is exactly why I have no spare time. If I'm not doing your hair, I'm watching your kids or typing up those documents you never got around to. I'm your neighborhood Ms. Fix It. That's what I do.

I'm not rich, I just think I'm smart. I may have nice things, and go places, and do stuff that most people don't do - but it's because God has blessed me with the ability to do so. If I can't do it - I won't. I'm not gonna break bank to get that, or to go there - because I'm not about impressing people. Trust and believe, the people you impress today - won't be impressed when you can't afford it tomorrow. I can't live my life for everyone's entertainment.

My family's not rich, either. Okay, so we're not poor - but I've never had a silver spoon in my mouth. I've been working since I was nine - and people look at me like I'm crazy when I say that. "Your Mom had you working so young?" Uhh, no. I asked my Mom for something one day - she told me she couldn't afford to buy it for me. I got up the following Saturday, planned some ish with my little brother - and that weekend we were cleaning people's houses for money. At nine years-old, I was under your couch - sweeping out dust mites and ish. By the next weekend, I had what I wanted. Didn't need Mom to make up the difference, or anything. When I was twelve, I wanted my first pair of cool sneakers. Mom definitely wasn't payin for that - so I watched someone's toddler for a night - and had fifty bucks (yeah, Nike's were a bit cheaper back then). I realized how good the money was, and by the time I was 14, the whole hood had me watching their kids.

What part of that sounds like I'm rich?

I just like to work. I like to know that my bank account isn't empty. And don't get it twisted - sometimes my checking account is extremely dry. I mean, right above my email alert dry. And my email alert is at $25. That's the point where I skip the party, I fill up the Civic and stop eating the expensive ish like sushi for lunch (sushi's $8.00). I make sure my essentials are present, I have enough money to eat with - and I keep pushin.

I'm not like a lot of these females out here. I dont' waste money on certain things, like fake eyelashes and big hair and stuff you have to maintain every week. I get my nails done, and sometimes when money's tight - I do my own toes. Woah! Crazy, right? Nobody can tell the difference. Cuz I've mastered the art of spending less. That way I can afford to spend more a little later.

And let me tell you - I am exhausted. Working like this takes a toll on my body, my mind - everything. Which is why I take it to heart when people make comments about my finances. "You always look nice, look at your clothes, your jewelry - stop sayin you're broke." I deserve to look this way - cuz if I didn't keep it up, I'd be run down. You don't know what my life is like - so don't judge me.

I keep my money right so I can help the people in my life who need it. If you short on rent, if you need gas money - I got you. Not for everyone, though. Those people know who they are. If I got it - you got it. Even when I don't got it. That doesn't make me rich - that makes me a decent human being.

2 comments:

  1. Damn Kim, that was great. Just for that I'm gonna click on one of your Ads.

    Lord knows I owe you! All the times you and Lou have helped a brother in Christ out. God bless you sister. *click*

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you don't owe me anything. You're one of the best friends I have, that's all the payment I need.

    ReplyDelete