Monday, October 11, 2010

Tech Review - Blackberry Torch

It's been a week since the Torch arrived in the mail, and I must say - it has yet to disappoint. I got one piece of feedback from a friend, and she didn't like the phone at all (she traded it for an iPhone). Despite that, I looked up the tech reviews (which were mostly positive) - and ordered it anyway.






Where should I begin? Oh yes - the most important part: 


Battery Life
The battery life is actually pretty good - on a scale from 1 to 10, I rate it an 8. Especially compared to my previous 9700. Considering that the phone allows you to multi-task in so many ways. 


On my way to NY, where I left at three in the morning, I managed to send BBM's (Blackberry Messenger Messages), periodically checked Facebook AND Twitter (which we all know kills the battery on any phone) and still managed to have the battery at half-power when I reached my destination around noon. 


I also took the subway, which forces the phone to constantly search for signal in the tunnels where there are no service - and still had half battery. 


Ergonomics and Size:
It has the new trademark textured back, which aids in gripping the phone, but really does feel like a ribbed latex condom (minus the lube). 




The box alone was significantly smaller than the 9700's box - although the phone is comparable in size. The sliding keyboard is a wee bit smaller than the   Bold 9700, but even with my long nails, I manage to use it just fine. In a week or so - I will have mastered it.






Issue: 
Sliding the keyboard out takes two hands, unless you're willing to risk the phone slipping from your hands. If I could make a modification; I would add a small inset for a thumb or finger to slide the screen up. And a grip on the sides  for security. 






Camera: 
 So far, the camera has been decent. On a scale from 1-10, I would give it a 7. 
I enjoy the various settings it allows you to use, including face detection and an outdoor feature. 
Screen Shot app available in AppWorld

The 5megapixel camera is very good, especially with the flash - but the main thing that took points away is how blurry the pictures could be if you don't have a steady hand. 





  Drunken party pics are not advised with this camera. Although accidental blur has made some pretty good photos in my day...

Other than that, the pictures came out very clear with no pixelation. I took photos out of a moving train, outside at the train station, in a nightclub -and got good results.




IssueI am upset that there is STILL no camera mute option! How can I sneak and take pics with this ever loving shutter sound?! I had an app on my 9700 that muted the sound, but cannot find it in App World. If anyone knows what another one is called - let me know!
Media Player: 
The media player is niiice. Blackberry 6 OS mastered the art of smooth transition. You have the option to swipe the screen and flip through songs, or press the "next" button on the screen. 


The audio is on point - and my Skullcandy headphones make it even better.
Pair this with an 8gig MicroSD card - awesome. I actually don't miss the fact that I left my Zune in NY - all I need is my Torch!

Web Browsing is decent, although if the phone supported 3G it would be faster. I appreciate the "Pinch and Zoom" feature that allows real-time web browsing that I can actually read! 

I made a quick video to show you what pictures can't...


Feedback? Anyone buy the Torch yet? 

1 comment: