Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Sneaker Freaker: My Eldest Pair Of Kicks...

So, my sneaker obsession officially began when I was twelve years-old. My parents weren't big on spending money for brand names and flashy items and things. They were more concerned with making sure we had food on the table and a warm bed to sleep in at night. So, I'd live vicariously through my (former) best friend. We had been friends since kindergarten, and coincidentally enough, we wore the same shoe size. When we would go out to places the cool kids went, I would go through her closet and pick a pair of sneakers to go with my outfit. I'd gingerly wear them to our destination, then give them back to her when we were done.



One day, for some random reason I never figured out - she gave me a pair of her sneakers. All white Jordan 11's. I was elated! I cherished those sneakers with my life! I'd gingerly clean them with Oxy Clean after I wore them, and put them gently back in the box after they'd dry. I wore them and took care of them until I started working that year and could afford to buy my own. I passed them on to my younger cousin, who was equally as excited to own her first pair of Jordans. Her bitter mother, though - forced her to wear them to gym. I suppose this is what they were made for, but the sentiment was obviously lost in translation.

Anyway - after being exposed to the Jordan brand and lifestyle, I became a fan. After discovering eBay at the age of 14, I learned quickly that I could share the same fashions as my friends, and still keep my hard-earned money in my pocket. Most of those kids had parents who spoiled them, so they didn't understand the value of a well earned dollar. My first Jordan purchase was the "Three Percent's." And I still have them to this day...



On many websites, they're classified as Collectible - if I knew then what  I know now, lol. I bought those sneakers for about $40 on eBay, and I feel that they are one of the best investments I ever made.These kicks retail for over $150.00 now. They're not deadstock, but they are in nearly new condition. Every sneaker head's got that one pair that they love, primarily because there's a story behind it. No matte what it is - how they got it, who they got it from, how much they got it for - there' always something to talk about. These Three Percents are my pride and glory - because they're the only pair of OG's I have in my collection. There's a story behind that, too - one dahy we'l sit down and talk about it. For now, though - I'll let you revel in my Three Percent beauty.


Oh, and to my former best friend - wherever she is - I've got to thank her for making me into the sneaker head I am today... She created a monster!

No comments:

Post a Comment