Tuesday, January 19, 2010

{{Tattoo Lifestyle - Might Don't Make It... }}


So - after months of deliberation and a bit of planning - I went and got my fifth tattoo. I've been contemplating what my next one would be, and I finally came to the conclusion that I would put a tribute tattoo to Bar on me. Personally, I think names are unnecessary on the body, therefore I had to find a way to memorialize him that was unique and personal. Funny thing is - he already sent me the game plan in the most subliminal way.

We all know I am a KidRobot fiend. Last year, I purchased over a dozen Munny and Dunny toys via Tate's Comic Book Store in North Lauderdale. The Munny toys come with a surprise accessory in each box - but the Dunny toys are a surprise in themselves. Many are limited edition, and all of them are in a grab-bag format. The surprise takes place after you open the box.

Yum!

Two of my Munny's I've done...

So, I've spoken about Bar's passing in previous posts - and at one time, after he passed away, he kept visiting me in my sleep and in my room. I'm still not sure why, but it happened for about a week. That weekend I went for my usual comic fix at Tate's, and decided to pick up a Dunny for my car. I opened the box, and he appeared:


It might seem like an ordinary toy to the naked eye - but M.E. are Bar's initials...
I took this as a sign that he wanted something for me to remember him by - so I made it a fixture on my dashboard. When I was making my decision on what tattoo to make for him - this Dunny was the first thing that popped into my mind. The next challenge was to decide how I would translate such a thing to my body - without it being random... I was shopping with CousinJin one day, and encountered a really cute t-shirt that read, "My Heart Belongs to Me."

That was it.

It's subliminal, yet upfront - and I felt like it was the perfect translation of the way I've felt since he left the earth. The only person who's now allowed to ink my body, Leif Olson- was in charge of putting the concept on paper and transporting it to my skin. He is a genius, and an artistic mastermind... He fixed my first tattoo mishap - which you can read all about right here. And You can view pics here. I respect his work, and I expect nothing but the best from him, any time I need work done. This time - he didn't disappoint.

We spent hours in the shop - talking and acting a fool. That's the atmosphere Leif creates. He's down for whatever, but offers his professional advice when needed. He gladly selects colors that will be vibrant to the individual's skintone, and freehands his art, which adds a personal touch...

CousinJin chronicled our adventure - as CousinJan managed to make a new friend...











I am extremely happy with Leif's work - and I really think this is the right tribute for Bar. It pays homage to a life lost and the new life I am embarking on in my future. I hope he likes it. 

R.I.P. Muhammad "Bar" Etheridge - July 20th, 1985 - June 28th, 2008...








2 comments:

  1. ...now I understand the story of the tatt...I'm the last to know everything! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You thought I was gettin some random toy put on me, eh? I'm not that bad Jin - jeeze! I thought I told you all about this as it was happening. You guys never remember half the sh*t I say, lol

    ReplyDelete