Friday, January 8, 2010

Space Jam Jordans...

 "Hello, it's the Martian - Space Jam Jordans..."



    You don't have to be a sneaker head to have heard of the coveted Space Jam 11's - they've been a news topic lately for various reasons. One of the more prominent causes for this is the fact that a number of sneaker stores and boutiques were robbed on the week of the release date in '09 - simply for these shoes. The anticipation for these kicks were crazy, and in typical sneaker freak fashion - the lines in front of the stores were crazy on the release date.

Not only that, the kicks have been featured in numerous rap songs - months before they even hit the stores. Bun B. and Lil Wayne are two rappers of note who have mentioned them in freestyles or on mixtapes. Wayne throws mention in at the beginning of his Forever Remix verse. Bun B. was actually present at a Houston store's midnight release, and showed the throng of Jordan fans waiting in line for the much anticipated store opening...



Personally, I fantasized about the idea of searching for the sneakers in my size. My options included - driving to downtown Miami and scouring every sneaker store - or stalking eBay until I won a bid, which would probably result in a $200+ purchase. Either one would be painstaking, and quite frankly - I didn't see it happening. Everyone knows the 11's are one of my favorite Jordan numbers, taking precedent over the XIII, the IX and the VIII - so this would be a major conquest for me. After a few weeks, though - I gave up on the idea, and considered them a dream purchase. It's difficult in Florida for me to find certain kicks in my size (6Y), and my work and school schedule make it impossible to plan search expeditions.

On my visit to NY, though - my best friend Alyster met up with me to spend some time together and to deliver my Christmas present. Lo and behold - he pulls out a Jordan box. When I pulled back the tissue paper - I almost died!! He laughed, "You thought I was gonna buy you some cheap ass Dunks, huh?" I would have been happy with those - especially since i didn't expect a gift - but now I'm content! I guarded that sneaker box more than my carryon as I traveled back to Florida... A photo shoot followed...







Ugh! I can't thank you enough, Alyster!! Expect your gifts in the mail next week! 

2 comments: