Wednesday, April 1, 2009

||Sneaker(s) of the Month - Nike Cortez & Nike Dunk Supreme Edition||



||Zune Says
- A-Trak feat. Lupe Fiasco - Me & My Sneakers||


So - as a sneaker afficionado, I'd like to think we should all take the time to learn and respect the history of the sneakers we love so much. This month, I'd like to recognize the Nike Cortez, and as a tasty little bonus - the Dunk Supreme.

I ain't a Cholo or nothin {smile}, but I respect the Nike Cortez because of its simple structure and colorways. You don't even have to be cool to pull these off.

They're placed in the "Lifestyle Shoe" category because, well - you can't really do much in them. One game of basketball would probably have your big toe showin' through. Lol, I'm kidding - but they're designed for casual wear. Obviously they're built to last, Forrest Gump did all his runs in these kicks.



Via Sneakerhead.com:
The Nike Cortez was released in 1972 as the Tiger Corsair, but in 1972 it was renamed the Cortez after the partnership between Nike (still called Blue Ribbon Sports at the time) and Onitsuka Tiger disintegrated.The original model was made of leather with seven lace holes, but was also produced in nylon and suede models in the 70's. A women's version was also released called the Senorita Cortez. The Nike Cortez was reissued in the mid-90's and in 2003 the Cortez was added to the Nike ID lineup, allowing fans and collectors to personalize their Nike Cortez shoes by choosing their own colorway from a range of available colors. The Nike Cortez is available in Basic, Deluxe, and Nylon editions.

For all those who don't know, the Cortez was the first running shoe designed by track coach Bill Bowerman of the University of Oregon. Bowerman went on to create the Waffle Trainer, but I don't know too many fly people out there who are checkin for those. We'll leave that to the runners.

Pair these with a cute skirt, and it's a Middle School girl's first day outfit. Pull on some fitted jeans and a button up, and you got a Jamaican guy's club ensemble. The Cortez have proven for three decades (and counting) that simple style goes a long way.

And now, for my guilty pleasure, the shoes that make my mouth water -
The Nike Dunk Supreme Edition

Excuse me. I just jizzed in my pants. {{walks to bathroom}}

Okay, I'm back. Now, lets begin.

The first pair of Dunks were introduced in 1985 in the form of a high top. Nationally, they were released in college sport team colors. Sales skyrocketed when the sneaker was co-released with the Jordan brand sneaker. Nike's strategic simultaneous release of the Dunk and Michael Jordan's first sneaker failed as the Jordan sneaker's technology overshadowed and pushed the Dunk to the back. Following that decline in popularity, production of the Dunk was reduced to one style per year.

In the late 90's, though, as Hip Hop made its resurgence in the urban scene, the Dunk began to ride on its wave. The fashion and color schemes of the music scene made the need for originality in the shoe game a must. 2001 brought on the release of the Dunk SB (Skate Board), which opened the market for consumers who were outside of the HipHop scene. This also brought forth new colorways, and later - customized designs.

These are by far my favorite sneakers - bypassing my love for Rifts (hard to believe, but true). Dunks are ultra comfortable, and the right pair makes gettin fresh effortless. I have thrown on a cotton t-shirt and some sweats and still gotten looks, simply because of my Dunks. I'll never forget the first time I wore my Ostrich SB's. We went to the Miami Seaquarium. Lou had on his What the Dunk!'s (I spent months hunting for them - and a grip, too). Every exhibit we went to, workers were squinting at our feet. Finally, a chick at the exit said, "Dayum, y'all kicks is crazy!" I can't lie though, Lou outshined me, but Dunk love is Dunk love, right?



No matter how you like your kicks - dirty, immaculate, creased, paper-stuffed, spray painted, hand drawn - you've got to know the history behind them. Sometimes they're pretty shallow, with little to learn - but other times, you find that the roots run deep. Nike has a long history, one that has traveled through revolutions, historical sports games, and wars. We've got to respect that. Definitely gotta respect the fresh.




5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I can't wait till I get my shoe game up...

    Until then, I'll be blogging about those hot new SFC's (Shoes for Crews) and Wal-Mart wafers. Because they are the only shoes I own for now :-D. But I will be fresh! One day! Just like you guys and all your pretty shoes!


    P.S. Isn't funny how Nike Cortez' to spanish people, are like Nike Air Force ones to black people. But you can stereotype more accurately with the Cortez? (Did that make sense?)

    <3
    Mick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO - that's exactly what I was sayin! Cholo is a word for Mexican - a lot of them love Cortez's... Definitely the AF1 Equivallent

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo The Cortez is a shoe I am Most Def Scared to rock....The Shape is Simple but the pannels are weird...the dunk is over done I wish all the biters stayed on the air force ones and left the dunks alone they were so awwsome b4 uptown cats got em

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can agree with the Dunk thing, Biff - some things are better left simple. I just think that the Dunks look better when customized than the Air Forces for some reason. Maybe because of the flat silhouette that the Dunks have. I really stopped feelin Harlems when I got out of high school, cuz they were costing me too much money. I couldn't afford to buy a new pair every time they creased, lol

    ReplyDelete