Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Never Ending Story - G1 Blogging

Zune Says: Bobby Caldwell - Open Your Eyes

So, yesterday I flew in to NY, just for the day, to visit my fam and drop off a package. As we're riding through Mount Vernon, I notice one common factor on almost every block - the same people I left behind were still outside. Nothing much changed, plus or minus a few babies. Yeah, they wasted the money that could have saved our intramural sports programs on new landscaping - but it's still the same hood.

What scares me is the fact that these kids seem to think that slumming is the norm. It looks like they expect this life. I've had old friends ask me if I have any kids yet, and when I say no - they ask me why not. Don't get me wrong, I have a serious respect and sense of admiration to all my friends who have children, because it is not an easy task. As a young person doing what I can to secure my finances, though, I will not conceive a child until I can take care of them by myself. Most of my friends have the support of their parents, but a lot of these hood kids don't. Most of their parents make the same, if not less amount of money that they do - where does that leave the babies? Simple: down the same path their parents just came down.

The fact that more than three young dudes from my town were shot and killed in the same week baffles me. You live in this town, you see the news - yet, you manage to kill another one of your own. Don't you realize that one day the one being shot may be you??

Tangent: Why was there a kid riding a unicycle up the block last night?

Anyway, when will these kids wake up? When will they realize that the children they created will be left in this world without them?

Be back in a bit - flight's about to board...

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to my world Kim...I see this everyday and every night. I know first hand what you are saying. Is so funny to me because every one of my friends right now are not from Mount Vernon. Not saying that they should be but...they should be. Its like the world revolves and skips all the people over here letting their mind get stuck in the same cycle. I can't wait to get out of here be somebody and wake these people up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so depressing, cuz I expect so much more from Mount Vernon. We have spawned great people in that town - Denzel Washington, Diddy, Heavy D. - freakin Malcolm X's mom lived in Mount Vernon until she passed away!! We have so much strong history - yet no one can motivate themselves enough to do better - to see that more is out there.

    It seems like the only way out of that life is to get out of that town. SMH.

    ReplyDelete