Thursday, March 18, 2010

Moving Out





So - apparently - they thought we were joking.


CousinJan and I have been planning to move into our own place for over a year. When things fell through with me and "Him," I realized that I didn't want to live completely alone just yet, and a total stranger would not be an option. Fortunately for me, Jan had the same desire to move out as I did - and so we made it happen. I've been working like a fiend, overtime, bonuses - to get into this place. We had to kiss a few frogs before we found our prince, but we encountered a place that's perfect for us right now. 


A lot of times, people get caught up in the excitement of moving out of their parents' house, and they rush into things they can't handle. I'm proud to say that we took our time. We checked out quite a few scenarios before we came to this point, and boy was it a roller coaster. Excitement and disappointment (Repeat x3) - until we stopped and took a break. 


This complex is awesome. It's in a quiet location, but close enough to the hood for us to feel comfortable. The problem that I had with living in "Hicktown" was that there were few people my age and the ones that were there were crazy pothead rich kids. Most of the adults there are ignorant and rude, and they made living there downright uncomfortable. Not to mention I was far away from everything. Now we're in a central location, walking distance from any shop we want - and we even have a strip club up the street!! Can't complain about that. 


Let's see what happens when the honeymoon's over...


I see nothing but good things for us. My parents were a bit saddened because I was leaving - but even my mom said I'm late in the game as far as moving out goes. I think they've realized that I prove myself to be a responsible individual as the years go by, and I won't do anything do jeopardize my future if I don't think the risk is worth it. I know what opportunities are afforded to my by living on my own - and I plan to capitalize on all of that. Give me a month or two - and I'll be on an ubergrind. I've always been about my business, and it won't stop now. I'm hungrier than I've ever been. Can't explain it. Just am. 


We've spent the past few nights sleeping on the floor - because our mover did us dirty and we couldn't get our beds or other furniture. I only allow myself two days off a week - so tomorrow I'm gonna be our manpower and I'll be moving everything with my little brother. I've enjoyed these nights - sipping wine out of plastic cups, listening to music on our laptops, laughing, giggling in our undies. These are the things I've wanted to do for years - and I'm finally able to do so. If the world ends in 2012 (giggle), I have to make sure I've live a fulfilled life. No regrets, nothing missed out on. I'm happy right now, and it took a long time to get here.


My advice to anyone trying to move out on their own - do your homework!! Calculate your expenses, save - save - SAVE! You can never store enough money in the bank. Rainy days come quick and heavy. Minimize your spending so that you know what it's like to live on a budget. We can front all we want, but as college students, especially us independent ones - we all hurt for money at one point or another. No one walks out of high school and lands cushy jobs AND pays rent, light, water, cable without some sort of struggle. I doubt there'll be any new sneakers or shoes for the next month or so - not because I can't afford to, but because I want to make sure I can afford other luxuries and necessities before anything else. I won't be that kid with the nice clothes and shoes, but no living room furniture. I refuse to be that kid with the new rims - with a 19" tv in my living room. I've got plans. And I'm going to execute them in a timely and orderly fashion. By housewarming, we should be in full swing. Boy am I ready to host a party! 


{{Does the Cabbage Patch}} - I really have my own place!! 

Glory to God for allowing such a thing to take place. We all know he did the heavy work, and I'm not afraid to say it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment