Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Artist You Should Hear: Robyn

I've been listening to Robyn since junior high school - she's come out and transformed so many times over the course of a decade. You might remember her song, "Show Me Love" which was a hit back in 1997. Nowadays - her sound is actually her own - no more of the commercialized pop that she was forced to make, and I love it. 
1997 Robyn








2005 Robyn


What felt like two years ago was actually 2005, and she released her self-titled album, "Robyn." I fell in love. Cobrastyle was an underground radio hit - which is a remake of Mad Cobra's dancehall smash "Press Trigga." When I heard this - I went crazy. Swedish chick doing dancehall? No way! But she did it, and it transitioned so well, that she gained a new fan. The album was awesome - still is. "Bum Like You" is my second favorite track. Peep my playlist to catch a few of the songs. 


2010 Robyn 




She's adorable, but the little Swede packs a punch. This new album - "Body Talk Pt. 1" has a great deal of hits - including one you may be hearing already, "Dancing On My Own," where she sees her love interest in the club with another woman and tries to catch his attention - but fails. I love "Dancehall Queen" for obvious reasons (Islanders, stand up!) You can feel her connection to reggae, even listening to the lyrics can bring you to 2010 Kingston or MoBay. 


I'll let her music speak for itself - but definitely support Robyn and buy these albums. They're available on iTunes AND Zune Marketplace. No excuses! 



No comments:

Post a Comment