Monday, October 15, 2012

Going Raw - my Two Week Journey...

So we decided to "go raw" for two weeks, and I tell you the last three days of it have been the most trying. The bright side of it all has definitely been the results; down over six pounds with two days remaining on the diet. Three days of moderate ab-work per week. Let's talk about how it all went down... 


It all starts with the meals; nothing cooked is allowed. Raw trail mix and dried fruit are a catalyst throughout the day in order to maintain energy. I usually start the day off with a few fruit; an apple, a banana and a fruit shake. Odwalla has awesome drink options that are all natural, and give you a list of how many fruit and other goodies are in each bottle. Since I'm allergic to oranges, I stick to Original Superfood. It's green but yummy, don't let the appearance fool you. 

The key is creativity when going raw; since your options of what to eat may be limited. We stocked up on a few staple items to base our salads on; spinach, lettuce, frozen edamame, kelp noodles, apples. It's based upon what fruit and veggies you like, so grab a basket and go H.A.M. in the supermarket. No meat, though. :) 

Fruit saved me. I got so tired of eating trail mix, that all I really wanted was fresh fruit. I diced up a whole cantaloupe and put it in a tupperware container to eat throughout the week, boy did it come in handy. Threw some flax seeds on top for fiber - but make sure you chew the seeds or you won't get any of the nutrients. It's all inside. 

I found that if I chomped on trail mix throughout the day, I was less hungry when my usual feeding times came around. I've been sipping this Superfood drink since 11am - it's 2:51pm right now and it's not finished. The protein will keep you alive!! I even fought the temptation of my mom's barbecue turkey wings this weekend - and that takes a lot of will power!  

I haven't lost any energy, I think I can attribute that to the soybeans (edamame) and the nuts. I keep a ziploc back of it by my side, in case I feel the urge to eat. There are quite a few raw trail mixes to choose from, so you can add variety and fight boredom. I don't dig shaved coconut that much or mushy dried apples, so I went for one with premium nuts (cashews, pecans, almonds, pistachios) or one with premium nuts and dried berries (cranberries, raisins, etc.). I tend to eat around the Brazil nuts, because I think they're kind of bitter. If they were salted, I'd go in!  

30 minutes of moderate exercise helps speed up the process. We usually get up and do ab-work in the morning with some GOOD music playing (pun intended). I haven't been working out as much as I usually do, so I don't even want to show you too many ab shots, lol. I'll do it for support's sake, though.

Mother Nature allowed me to keep my butt, although according to my measurements I lost half an inch in that area. I lost the same amount in my midsection, but the measurements are flawed since I ate before I took them. More squats should remedy the loss in the hip and buttocks, though. 


Anyway, today makes the second to last day - I'm already planning my first meal. Nothing like the sweet victory of health and fitness, it allows you to indulge sometimes. Dragon roll, here I come! 

P.S. - If you can find friends to do this challenge with you I recommend it. Having good support systems will definitely get you through. If you need more than two weeks, kick it up a notch and go for three. Two months, even? Sky's the limit!








































No comments:

Post a Comment