Thursday, October 4, 2012

"I Don't Vote Because it Doesn't Count," And Other Bullshit I've Been Told...



Like I say all the time, this blog is as candid as they come. Take it or leave it...

There are two things Ma always warned me against discussing with people, religion and politics. Both are very touchy topics that provoke serious emotions from individuals you'd least expect. Last night I had a heated debate with some friends of mine and it really shined a light on the character of everyone.

As most of us know, election day is only 32 days away - and we've got our eyes wide shut on the issues that concern us the most. The young vote is crucial this year - no matter what anyone says. I'm Democratic, but I respect my Republican friends because they see their beliefs and they vote for it. Those who have the right to vote and do not - I can't understand.

Especially kids like me; first generation Americans whose parents brought us here to escape the violence of their own countries or simply for a better life. I can't understand how we don't vote - when immigration issues are on the line. Wet Foot, Dry Foot policies - the DREAM Act. This affects our friends, families and loved ones today! I was so heated I started to shake last night. I had to calm down.

I urge each of you to register to vote - the last day is October 9th. No matter which party, make it count. Look at history - how do you think we got here? We've made it through slavery, segregation and hate crimes to get to this point - why stop now? It's all about progression and education. Empower yourself with information, then make your decisions from there. Don't just lay down and take what's given to you. For then, we can only blame ourselves for not at least trying to make a difference.

But what do I know? I'm just a 25 year-old Black American registered voter...

#voteOrDie.

Register to Vote Here

No comments:

Post a Comment