Friday, December 25, 2009

This Christmas...


Sooo - I'm forever telling my co-workers about my quirky family and all the strange things we do. This month has been all about my Mom's obsession with Christmas trees. We have a tree coming out of every orifice of this house. There's a tree in the guest bathroom, a tree in the den, a tree on the upstairs balcony, a tree on the downstairs patio, two trees in the walkway, a tree by the door... I could go on - but you get the point. Shoot - some of the trees - have their own trees! Not to mention the main tree, of course.

So, last night, we were sitting in the den - shooting the breeze like we so often do, and we started talking about the excess of Christmas trees we have in the house. "Do you know what my first Christmas tree looked like?" She said.
  Growing up in Jamaica, my Mom's family was poor. Over the years, they progressed into better lifestyles - but living was never really easy for them. They once lived in a Tenament Yard - which as Island people know, it is basically America's projects. A huge yard where there were sections of shoddy buildings, most of which the rooms were shared by a single family. My mom's Christmas tree, was a bush that they decorated with whatever trimmings they could find. Her and her siblings would make decorations out of tissue paper, and whatever tinsel they could get their hands on. Sometimes, my Grandfather would bring home the branch of a nice tree, and they would hang a decoration off of that, too.

Over the years, after she moved to America - Mom bought my Grandma a small tree to keep at home. She sent mini decorations, and Grandma was very careful to keep them well protected. Ironically enough, they were cheap decorations from various dollar stores, but Grandma didn't care. She cherished those ornaments like they were from Macy's. We would play with them like action figures, but be careful to put them back - because Grandma would flip if any of them were broken. Back then, you couldn't just walk into a store in Jamaica and pick up a Christmas tree. Someone had to send you one from "foreign" - and that was a big deal.

So now, I understand why she loves the trees so much. It's like they make up for lost time, lost enjoyment. She wants to make sure that my brothers, sisters and I have the holidays she couldn't afford to have. And we do - and we love every moment of it. I have been raised to appreciate all that I have and receive, because my family has come far to give us these opportunities.

This Christmas is a little different from the last - less gifts under the tree, some family members are missing - but the principal is always the same. We cherish those who are with us, send love to those who are not - and give thanks to God for everything that we are blessed to have and receive. That's what it's all about, right?

Happy Holidays, everyone. "Happy Kwanzaa - or whatever you guys celebrate," as we were told how ever many times by some of our white customers yesterday. I don't take it as ignorance, I take it as them trying to be understanding and current. And I appreciate that, too.

Enjoy the montage of Christmas trees, provided by none other  than - my Mom.





No comments:

Post a Comment