Tuesday, December 15, 2009

"Wildwood" Vol. 4




Excuse my hiatus - school had me wrapped up. Winter break has arrived - so I have more time to indulge in writing. Here goes. Enter - Yvette...

||Yvette||

My speech at the University went well this afternoon, and I celebrated with my best friends - slash colleagues at Ruth's Chris in the evening. One veal shank and a few mimosas later, and we were all venting about our love lives. Martina couldn't stop gushing about the getaway to Grand Cayman her husband took her on last weekend. She described the hours of lovemaking, the beautiful suite overlooking the cay, the romantic dinners they shared. I smiled gently when she showed us the handmade coral necklace he bought her.
Josie whispered about the young mechanic she's been seeing while her husband was away on business. He accidentally spent the night with her last evening - and had to scale down the second-floor balcony when her husband surprisingly came home early from Beirut. We all shared a laugh when she told us how quickly she threw his clothes, and her neglige out the window and slipped into an old t-shirt.
Katrina talked about all the hoops her ex-husband's been jumping through to try and win her back. On the table, she tossed the keys to the Mercedes that he parked in front of her house a week ago. The story of how he cried in front of all her patients at the hospital had us in stitches.
All I could do was sigh when it came to my turn. I had barely anything to share. I talked about my oldest son, Ricardo, and his usual escapades from college. The new flooring in the kitchen, a cute watch I bought from Cartier, and Richard's usual antics. Not much to discuss. I felt so bored with my life.

"Girl, you need to spice things up - find a young hottie for yourself. What's up with that gardener of yours - he's cute," says mechanic-banging Josie. "Jo - Raul is barely 18, and speaks zero English," I reply. "Okay - but have you seen his abs? What's Spanish for 'take me now?'"
The table erupts in laughter, totally forgetting that we'rre in a restaraunt full of patrons. I take one more swig of my Disarrono and call it a night. We hug and say our goodbyes - promising to call. Everyone runs home to their respective lovers, while I stroll out to an empty nest and a cold bed. As we cruise home, the Wildwood sign beams on the road ahead of us. I ask my driver to stop in. It's only eight o'clock - might as well get some shopping in - just to kill time. I get a few staple items at first, then I end up going overboard. Before I know it - my trolley's full and almost losing my balance, I feel a hand calmly steady my waist.

"Almost had a spill there," says the deep baritone behind me. As I turn around, and to my horror - my hunky cashier is smiling in my face. I hope he doesn't smell the alcohol on my breath. I smile back shyly, and regain my balance.

"Guess I got a little too much, huh?" I say as i struggle to turn the cart towards a checkout counter. "Not at all- looks like you've got everything you need here. Except - chocolate."
He laughs as he pulls the carriage to his line. As he unloads everything for me, he talks about school and his work schedule. Of course, I hear none of this, because I am busy admiring his physique - watching the smooth skin of his face curl into gentle dimples as he smiles. When he's done ringing me up, he politely offers to help me to my car. I try to decline, but I glance at the three-hundred dollar order and reluctantly nod my head. we talked as I waited for my driver to pull up - and surprisingly, he holds good conversation for a young one. We load the bags into the car and I slip him a twenty along with my card.
"We've got a good music program at my University, one of these days we've got to talk you into transferring."
I don't know what made me do it, but giving him my number was the most exhilarating thing I've done in a while. He smiles and almost instinctively, puts the bundle in his pocket. His soft hand shakes mine, and gently closes the door. As we pull off, I look back just in time to watch him walk away.


Damn, I hope he calls.

2 comments: