Tuesday, April 13, 2010

{{Say What?}} Family RETURNS Adopted Child...



So, children come with receipts now?? 


((via momlogic.com))


        As the controversy rages on over the adoptive mother sending her son back to Russia, the town sheriff was on CBS's "Early Show" today explaining that the family was scared of 7-year-old Artyom Savelyev.

Bedford County Sheriff Randall Boyce said: "What we're getting mostly is that he had violent issues and that they were more or less afraid of him, as far as trying to burn the house while they were asleep. I think he threatened some of these things. But it's still early. We're not exactly sure what the whole deal is."
Artyom's adoptive grandmother told CBS: "He drew a picture of our house burning down and he'll tell anybody that he's going to burn our house down with us in it," she said. "It got to be where you feared for your safety. It was terrible."
Meanwhile, ABC reports that Russian officials say Artyom has shown no signs of the violent, psychiatric behavior the mother cited among the reasons for returning him.
No charges have been filed yet against Torry Hansen or her mother, Nancy Hansen, but authorities are investigating.

So, instead of finding help for the young boy, the decision was made to send him back to Russia. Since when is there a hundred percent guarantee on children? Is it that hard to raise a child nowadays that an adult can decide to put them back into the deplorable conditions they longed to be rescued from? What was the point of adopting a child?

Did they think that a child from an orphanage was going to be like Annie - perfect, appreciative and ready made for an easy parenting life? Of course, coming from somewhere like a shelter usually means the child's birth parents were unfit to raise them, often equaling a history of physical or verbal abuse in that child's life. These kids need love and nurturing, and it's obvious that this mother probably did little in the way of research before she decided to adopt a child. No kid is perfect, and the best way to approach the situation would be to get to the root of his issues and work towards making him a better child, a happier one at that. How easy is it to just give up and send him back? 

As someone who raised a child, I know how hard it is to go through the changes of life with them. My sister's mom is still somewhat unstable, even though she's improved drastically from seven, eight years ago. Children absorb the environments they are in - they're the ultimate definition of a sponge. It's up to their adopted parent(s) to squeeze out their past with hugs and love - and let them soak in a new life. A life filled with support and kindness, kisses and smiles. This woman should be ashamed of herself. It shows her true ability to be a mother. Imagine when he reached his teens? She wouldn't be able to handle it. I'm sure of that. 

As a thirteen year-old, I was playing the role of a mother of a deaf child. Taking her to day care, then going to school, picking her up from day care in the evenings - feeding, bathing her. Putting her to sleep and watching over her until her mom decided to show up every night. That girl was my own. People really thought I secretly had a child and was claiming her to be my sister - it was that intense. I couldn't even go out with my friends sometimes, because I had to stay home and take care of her. I know what being a mother feels like. It's no easy task. I could have easily pushed her off on someone else - but she relied on me, loved me - looked up to me. What kind of human would I be? To this day, I thank God for giving me that experience. Her mother didn't take the reigns until she was about five. And even now, I have to step in and regulate every once in a while. Cuz that's what parents/siblings do. 

I don't believe this woman should be charged, but I do believe she should be black listed from adopting any children. She's unfit. Is she going to give up on the next child as easily? Or will she, out of shame, keep the child and mistreat them because of her inability to be a good caretaker? Will she abuse the child if she discovers they have a mental disorder? No child deserves to find out. 
I can only pray this little boy finds a good home. It's clear he has a few psychological issues, but most of those can be repaired with counseling and proper treatment. I know the next parent will be better than the last for him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment