Saturday, February 6, 2010

{{Airport Blogging}} - Sky High...

So, once again - I'm on my way to New York. I find myself getting homesick more often nowadays. I think a part of the reason is because it's what I know. I work so hard at the things I do around here, and for some reason - I still don't feel like I'm getting what I deserve. This school hustle is crazy, and working doesn't make it any easier, throw in the trying to move out - and it's all a hodgepodge of emotions. I guess, I'm just tired. Going home gives me a second to relax and unclench my buttcheeks. Granted, I find myself babysitting and running errands when I get there, but these are things that I'm born to do - things that I enjoy. 

As I watch the other people board our flight - I wonder what they do in the world. What their purposes are, how they travel through life. I've got one dude staring at me as he eats his sandwich with his mouth open - I'm curious to know his profession. Is he coming, or going? I guess I'll make it up in my head, as I watch his lettuce and tomato digest in his esophagus. He is grossing me out. Never mind. 

The two Jewish ladies sitting across from me at the gate. What are their lives like? They're speaking in English instead of Yiddish - how long have they been here? What's up with the lady reading over my shoulder? Hi!! Lol - I wonder where she's headed. Maybe she'll tell me after she reads this sentence. Oh, wait - she looked away. Never mind. 

My world is semi-crazy, but I make it this way. It's the actions that we partake in on a daily basis that shape the orbit of our "planets." There's this cute, brown-skinned lady sitting diagonal from me. I think she's white, but she's got the meanest tan - her boots are sick! I wonder where she's going, or coming from. Fresh French Manicure, hair styled perfectly - her life looks interesting. Is it? There's a little girl sitting in the basket under her baby sibling in a stroller. I'm curious to know what she wants to be in the future. When do we start shaping our destinies? Is it at age four? or Twenty two? 

Time to board -see you in NY!

I'm on my way back to Florida now - and the same question remains. Yesterday, BestFriend Shorty and I were watching Tyra, and her episode was based on visually stereotyping people. She had people of different ethnic groups, styles and cultures stand in front of a two-way mirror. Then, she had a group of people she called "Judgers" write on a projector (that projected their words onto the screen behind the person) phrases that came to mind as they looked at the person. The words that the people expressed were shockingly ignorant. I couldn't believe in this day and age, that people close to my age still thought so negatively about people who look different from them. 

This is the reason I people watch when I'm in the airport. You can get to know a lot about a person by watching them in an open, candid environment. I have a huge fascination with Orthodox Jewish culture, so I'm automatically drawn to watch them when they're near me. I'm interested in knowing why they do things they do, certain practices and ideas. Since I know none - the next best thing I can do is watch one. I had the honor of sitting near a Jewish kid my age on a flight  not too long ago, and I managed to pick his brain about a few things. A lot of the perceptions and preconceived notions that we have about people are simply and sinfully false. We should not gauge people's characters by their appearance - because it says nothing about who they truly are.

I also people watch because it helps boost my imagination. I can make up so many stories about the people I encounter in the airport.

OOp - time to board. Be back in a jiffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment