Sunday, February 28, 2010

The InsomnioPhiles = Late Night Blogging - "Tank"


It's 2:30 am - and I'm still awake...


Tank - "Lost In You"


I discovered Tank in what - seventh or eighth grade? The "Maybe I Deserve" video had just come out, and he was on the floor - shirtless and sexy. Seventh grade was the time where I had just started with the sexual feelings and intrigue. When I saw him, it was like - damn. He was beautiful; a chocolate Adonis with a deep, rich baritone - I was awestruck. Granted, the video wasn't as great as it could be, but he was an emerging artist, so I expected nothing but a cheap attempt at artistic expression. Regardless, he had me hooked, I wanted more. My best friend at the time thought he was horrible. Told me he couldn't sing, how wack he was. "He's not even that cute." 


Are you serious? I mean, look at him! 



Almond eyes, chiseled body - lips to die for - how can you deny this man?

Anyway - I went out and bought the "Forces of Nature" CD, and I played it until it burned out. "Kill 4 U," "Don't Wanna Be Lovin' You," I loved every track. I'd lay on my stomach in my bed and daydream after school to this album. I'd sing along like I wrote the songs when no one was home. My mom would come home from work, open my room door and say, "Are you listening to that Tank CD again?" 

I just couldn't stop.

His voice made me all tingly inside. The passion in his notes made me want to know what love felt like. "Kill 4 You" made me wonder what it was like to be stalked, or to love someone so passionately that you'd do anything for them. Oddly enough - I got my wish. My best friend would roll her eyes at me when she heard the CD on repeat. "One Man" was loaded with hits as well, and "Sex, Love and Pain" had great ballads. 

Eff it - I'm making a Tank station on Pandora. Right now.
Yeah. That's more like it...

As I sit here listening to "Unpredictable," I wonder who Pandora's gonna play on this station. There's no one out there like Tank. His voice is profound, distinct, unmistakable. Probably a little Jamie Foxx. I loved Jamie's album primarily because Tank did so many of the background vocals, as well as writing and production. I sat for years wondering when he was coming back out with new music. I always feel, just like Ne-Yo - that Tank was saving his favorite songs for himself. So far, he hasn't disappointed.

I downloaded a few tracks from this year, and I am back in love with this man again. "I Can't Wait" is a favorite of mine right now.

((Tangent: They're playing Trey Songz. Good - but still not comparable.)) 

Anyway - I have officially deemed Tank my favorite R&B singer (sorry Sisqo). His voice is beefy. He's not afraid to sing like a man, but explores falsetto and vibrato with such passion and fire. I can't help but feel tingly again. Now that I've experienced love and love lost - his songs mean so much more to me now. It's like I'm discovering him for the first time again. And it feels so good. 

The video that started my infatuation... 


I wonder what my friend would say about him now.

4 comments:

  1. LOL. Tank is indeed a very talented man. Super sexy to put a cherry on top. *Downloads mentioned album* In the meantime, I think i'm gonna listen to Love, Sex & Pain. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh garsh Kim. This Tank Lore.


    I used to think this was such a lazy song. But I was never liked R&B. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all have our niches, Michael. He just found his way into my realm. I'm all about feelings and emotion in my music - and he really does it for me.

    Shorty - I got em all - just a matter of how in the mood I want to feel, lol.

    ReplyDelete