Monday, June 14, 2010

After the Rain...

We've been going through a crazy few weeks in my family. My aunt had hip replacement surgery, Grandma had surgery that I wasn't even notified of. Now, Spirit's pilots have gone on strike, and consequently, Mom has been forced to take a week off with no pay. This is a temporary fix, of course - but we don't even know if the pilots will accept the offer on the table. If they don't - the fate of thousands of jobs lie in the balance. 



It's devastating to me, because of the sacrifices that my Mom took when she accepted this job in the first place. She took a pay cut from her previous job in NY, and she's got a boatload of responsibilities. Working there as an intern, I realize how difficult the jobs can truly be - and my mom is a soldier for sticking around. So when something like this hits - it hits hard. 


I can't lie - Mom has been taking this way better than I have. I sat at my apartment and cried. Cried and prayed, after she called me. Prayed that the pilots would accept what's on the table and move forward. It just seems that things aren't looking any more positive today than they were yesterday. It's a constant emotional struggle for me - so I can just imagine how employees are feeling. Flight attendants can't fly, customer service people stay home - and even Mom and her friends at corporate are in the dark about a lot of things. All we can do is watch, pray and wait. I know something good will come of this - I just can't figure out what. 



Note to Self: Learn how not to cry during every crisis. 

2 comments:

  1. There's nothing wrong with crying because we are not blind to how hard our moms work and I know what you're going through, you know my moms situation...it really is just up to God. Just find solice in the fact that our moms are good people and that God is in control - he will always find a way...he will show us that path when he's ready and not before. Stay positive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, we're a tough breed to kill, cousin - so I know we'll all persevere from this time. Patience is the only key - and faith!

    ReplyDelete