Friday, June 11, 2010

Puppy Love

Sooo - the puppies have been home for three days now. Man, what a workout.


No shots fired, but I have been doing a large majority of the workload with the pups. Jan's at work, and I'm on vacation - so I gladly hold up the parenting for now.  I've been transporting them in the car, because they couldn't be left home unattended. I de-flea'd them the first day they came home, although I was told they shouldn't have been exposed to any sort of flea products until ten weeks. They were riddled with fleas! I couldn't let them suffer, so I used Hartz Deep Conditioning Flea Shampoo. A day later, they still had a couple fleas lingering, so the ones I couldn't catch - I tried to bathe off again. Fleas can get onto people, too - and I refuse to have myself or Jan itching like madpeople. I've been mixing powdered puppy milk for them 3-4 times a day, as they have two more weeks to be weaned off the milk. By my birthday, they should be onto solids. Can't wait!


Anywhoo - our apartment is huge, so we set them up in the kitchen. It's reccomended that they stay in a central location until they've been housebroken. The baby gate was too large to pardon off half the kitchen, so we just keep them enclosed in the entire space until we can get a bigger gate. So far -they've peed a total of 362 times in the kitchen and living room. Shelby managed to pee in a spot on my bedroom carpet - which I promptly cleaned up. I foresee weeks more of this, unless I cave and send Shelby to puppy school. That costs money - therefore she can continue to pee on my tile. They have started to use the newspaper, but it's gonna take a while for them to get used to it, I suppose.

(Kush is the collared boy, and Shelby is the wild and free girl)

They are extremely playful, and seem to already know who they belong to. Shelby gets up and walks to me when I go into the kitchen, even if both of them were sleeping. She's a sweetheart, and is smart enough to know not to pee on Mommy when she's being held. I can't wait for the training phase to be over, so she can finally sleep in my room. For now - the kitchen will do just fine.


Ooop - gotta go! It's time for them to get more milk. Gotta run home. 

Stay tuned for the next episode of - "Puppy Love"

6 comments:

  1. Dr Bronner's Organic Liquid Soap in peppermint (sold at Whole Foods [ http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/PEP.htm ]) gets rid of fleas. They say no flea medication because it could poison them. Not a lot of soap is needed; and a good rinse it required or else it will leave the puppies cold. Two washes should do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I use Dr. Bronner's for everything! Thanks so much, now I don't have to buy anything additional. Another bath tomorrow for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fleas will come back but it will take slightly longer than it would if you used regular dog shampoo. Peppermint is supposed to a repellant. I love that stuff. Dog shampoo is one of the 18 uses. Dries the hair and skin out a little . So I used a organic(ish) conditioner or a moisturizing dog shampoo and it helped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I want to go as natural as possible with her, so I'm going to see what kinds of shampoos Whole Foods has available, as well. You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol that picture with you holding Shelby looking a little greasy is so matronly. Looking like you're loosing Isaiah. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had aloe vera on for my sunburn, thank you. She kept trying to lick it off. It wasn't so matronly when I peeped the flea on her and sent her back to the kitchen...

    ReplyDelete