Friday, December 10, 2010

Bruno Mars - "Grenade"; The Things We Do For Love





This video. Amazing. 





Very seldom nowadays do you see a video that evokes true emotion and makes you think. As I sat here watching Bruno on our 36inch tv - it really spoke to me. How much are we willing to do for love? How much are we willing to do if we don't get the same back? I swear, when he got to her house and saw her in the window - I teared up. Just imagine - pulling a piano across town, just to get your heart broken. What do you do after? Stand in front of a train? 






In my past love life - I used to pull out all the stops. I'd blow my last dollar to get him the things he desired, things he needed. The look on his face when he got them was always priceless. Now - I've scaled it back a bit, but the circumstances are different. I fly 1500 miles just to see his face, so it makes it all really intense for me. I don't know what I'd do if he didn't smile when I got there, or get excited when I bring him something. When you put so much into the ones you love - you only want the same back. I'm too happy that I get it. It's not about the money you spend - it's about the moments that make you feel good, the appreciation for the little things. So even if you pulled that Steinway piano across the world - if they love it - I love it even more. 






Oddly enough - this has nothing to do with my love life. This is more about friendships that I'm watching fade to black. I can't keep doing the most for everyone and I don't feel the love. While everybody else is building on their love lives, I end up investing too much in my friendships. So nowadays - I catch my grenades carefully. I'm tired of them blowing up in my face. 


I love my friends - and I'd do anything for them. Lately, though - I feel like only some of them will reciprocate that sentiment. So the ones that won't - don't get the same treatment. I'll always give one hundred when they're in need, but on those casual days, consider me on vacation. Cuz when you're all married off and starting your families - am I supposed to be the single midwife? Lol - I can't do it! 



But for all the suckers for love out there - I feel you. I used to be in your club. One day, when you reach out to catch that grenade - that special person will protect you from it... 

1 comment: