Thursday, December 16, 2010

Seeing Red Part Deux...

It's been a full week since I colored my hair just about, and I must say I am enjoying it. The red seems to make my hair more radiant, despite the fact that I've been told it makes my skin look darker. I'm not sure what the problem with that is - but okay. On the other side of the fence, red seemed to be the color of the wild child - but to me it just seems like a nourishing wintertime hue. Darker colors are said to be more moisturizing because of the lack of bleach. We'll see when week two and my first wash take place. I'd say I'll be maintaining the red with a rinse, but Bob he knows what happens to pillows and scarves after that...






("Bob" is a reference to the cartoon "Rugrats," where Angelica refrenced God with such a name)


Red is a sexy vixen color, and just so happens to be my favorite color as well. I find myself feeling more edgy with this shade; this week I've been mixing up my outfits more. Today was leg warmers, with a funky hoodie I found in one of my boxes. Definitely looked like a cold-weather Flashdance. To work. smh. I am my mamma's wildchild. 






Anyhow - I feel beautiful. I can't tell you enough how much I'm enjoying the color. My hair's behaving, I haven't had to blow it out since I got it done. Simply wrapping and curling the ends - probably because it's cold out. We know what happens if I sweat, lol 


Oddly enough - you know someone had to mess it up. I wore my afro the other day, and this Ukrainian woman at my job looked at me when I came in with my hair straight and says:
   "Oh, good. I like this hair. I don't like that thing you had yesterday. The - ughhhh. Eww. I don't like it." 


I think she thought my afro was a weave. The power of ignorance. I guess because I'm a brown girl, wearing weave is mandatory. I looked at her and said, "You mean my afro? My actual hair that grows out of my head?" She actually looked at me and said "Yes." I'm going to use a language barrier as her defense. I apologized for my hair not being appealing to her and walked away. My Turkish homegirl Evis came up to me and told me the lady's stupid. But I already knew that. Evis' hair is naturally curly, too. So she digs me. Just imagine, though. What a laugh! For this exact reason - I am not my hair. I cut it how I want, when I want - color it, straighten it, wet it. It never defined me, and it won't now. Just imagine if it did - I would have been a wreck! Although, I still haven't spoken to her since that day. Guess I gotta brush it off and be nice again. Being mean's bad for my spirit. 


Anyway, shine on, my sweets. Don't let anybody steal your light with their stupidity. Too many downers in life to add another. 



No comments:

Post a Comment