Monday, July 18, 2011

Fitness 2.0 - Yoga for Life...

My body, last year...
I got seriously introduced to yoga about two years ago, when my friend Blaine opened up his Kemetic Yoga studio. Since then, I've been on and off with the practice. Back in my apartment, it was an every day ritual to do yoga on my lakefront patio - I can't even tell you how calming that is. Now, I've been so concerned with weight training that I forgot all about it. But I'm back on it now...






Doing yoga in the past made me a lot longer and leaner, which is crucial for us short girls. I love the way my abdominals felt, the way my arms looked, and most of all - I retained my butt. Weight training has made me a lot more firm and "stacked," but I love the smooth lines that yoga can give. 


After two months of daily yoga...
Not to mention, Yoga is incredible for fat burning. The resistance that is needed to hold your body in each position burns so many calories. At the end of a 60minute session, you are guaranteed to be sweaty and a little sore afterwards. 




It's not as hard as it seems, so I have gathered together some simple positions to jump start any fitness regimen. I usually have a banana in the morning before I start; the potassium is really good for your muscles...










Yoga for Beginners (10min): 





Cobbler's Pose
The Cobbler's Pose is the introductory position, it helps to loosen the inner thigh muscles and relax you before you begin...


 
Pelvic Tilts are strengthen the lower back muscles, particularly the abdominals. Feel free to throw some Kegels in there, while you're at it ;-) 


The Cat-Cow Pose strengthens the back muscles and also helps to stretch the spine. This is one of my favorites...


The infamous Downward Facing Dog: Works EVERY muscle in your body.
Shoot, muscles you didn't even know existed. 
Abdominals and core are strengthened with this move. 


Standing Straddle Forward Bend - stretches the back and hamstring muscles.
Takes time to get down that far, but I guarantee you will feel a difference in days...

For more detailed instructions on yoga moves, check them out here. 

My legs are so sore from today's stretches, but I should be back to my old, bendy self in a few weeks. Good luck, let me know how it goes! 


2 comments:

  1. Ohhh Yoga..I think I can gradually get into especially if I can get a clearer mind and become more defined. This is a great post seeing how I'm on my fitness!

    Whit =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it! It's not as hard as people think, and it's so worth it. You'll see results in weeks. Can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete