Monday, September 13, 2010

9*13*10 - Letter to Pac...





Tupac Amaru Shakur,


You saw no changes back in 1996 - but I see many in 2010. They may not be obvious to the naked, naive, jaded eye - but take a look, and you'll see. Colleges are filled with brown faces - especially black faces. Trying to get out of those same situations you rapped  spoke about. I see law enforcement loaded with good cops, trying to change the face of the streets. I see the alternative high school in town, branded for the "bad kids" - actually doing the opposite. Those are the kids who live in poverty, experience violence - and can't stand to see it anymore. They graduate. Let's see what happens next. 


Changes.


We weren't ready to see a Black president back then. You missed the falling of the towers, though. When the smoke and dust settled - all we had was a war on our hands and a screwed up (White) president. It was beyond time. Hundreds of troops dead, and now our Black leader is left to clean up the mess. Story of our lives, right? 


Changes...


Those jails filled with our men. Still filled with them. This time around, our younger generations are trying to avoid prison. So many of them are out in the world; working - hustling legally - making a way. I respect all the budding clothing lines, successful record labels, hair salons, barber shops, boutiques. Not to mention the up and coming doctors, nurses - everyone in the medical field. Check out the next graduating class - loaded with black teachers and entrepreneurs. I plan on being one of them. 


Sound like plenty of changes to me... I think us young folk would make you proud. Next time I'm in Tijuana, I'll try and deliver this letter to you. Just know your legacy lives on here in America... 

No comments:

Post a Comment