Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Red Bottoms - the Louboutin Story...



I know all my ladies out there have caught wind of the Louboutin fever. I've been watching red soles since I was in junior high school - I just couldn't afford them. There's not too many ladies my age who can afford them -but for those who get their hands on a pair, they are truly a sight to behold.


Louboutin's "Fetish" ballet heels featured in Beyonce's "Green Light" video. 

Most girls in my hood can't even say the name right. It's not how it reads - it's pronounced "Lou-bit-on" - not "Low-bow-tin" as I thought when I was in seventh grade. That being said - if a girl pronounces them wrong and has them on - guarantee she has on fakes. 


The red-laquered sole began in 1997, but it wasn't until 2007 that he made the wise decision to apply for trademark protection for his signature style. I can give you a few instances where I've spotted blatantly fraudulent red-bottoms in retail stores. I can only name once incident, though - where I spotted a girl wearing cheaply made red-bottoms in the club. Lucky for her - nobody cared to notice. 


In his trademark application - Christian explains the accidental creation of the red-bottom phenomena: 


   "In 1992 I incorporated the red sole into the design of my shoes. This happened by accident as I felt that the shoes lacked energy so I applied red nail polish to the sole of a shoe. This was such a success that it became a permanent fixture."


Since then - his shoes have been worn and coveted by the likes of every famous celebrity, male or female. His sneakers are blazing a trail in the designer footwear industry as well. 






I say all of that to say this - if you can't afford these shoes, and we know you can't afford them - DO NOT buy fakes! The world will expose you. While his entire brand is not extravagant, the heels from five inches and up usually run about $1500.00 if not more. Most girls my age cannot spend money on things that expensive. Stick to the affordable styles - or don't get them at all. 


Secondly - if you can afford them - DO NOT break bank just to get a pair. This still means you can't afford them. If you have to skip your rent to buy these shoes, they are not for you. 


Lastly - DO NOT trick to get them, either. You sort of earned them - with your vagina (or mouth), but everyone will still know you didn't buy them. And, what's the point in owning something you don't deserve? You still won't get recognition for it - your jaws will... 


I have strongly considered saving my money up to get a pair, but the grown woman in me knows that I have bigger responsibilities to work on. The money I would spend on those shoes can help my down payment on whichever home I chose. I think my red-bottoms can wait for now. Unless I come across a sweet deal - then we can talk business...








How to Spot Fakes: 

Images by theluxechronicles.com


Websites like BuyChristianLouboutin.com and Louboutin-x.com are definite no-no's. So ladies - it's best to stick with what you can afford. Love you! Holla at you "shoenistas" later... 

5 comments:

  1. amen, don't go broke for a pair of shoes. they're just shoes! but they are beauties ; ) can't wait to see you in your first pair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when I was working in f21 they had some black boots with red bottoms and they literally made me sick everytime i had to touch them. The signature red bottoms stand for one brand and one brand only - everyone else needs to stop...I completly agree with you, if you can't afford something, don't even play yourself buy purchasing a fake pair - it's so disrespectful to the designer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm sooooo glad you did this...anyone who knows me knows i'm obssessed but don't have the heart to trade rent money for a pair...not yet at least. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I hit it big - I'm sure I'll have a pair, but for now I stick to what I can afford. I doubt guys are looking at my shoes in the club, anyway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lookin at that ass girllllllll

      Delete