Saturday, September 11, 2010

Nine Years Later - Has Anything Changed??



Nine years ago, an event took place that changed the world forever. Those planes not only took lives, but made us realize that this country is not as well-liked as it seems. It truly opened our eyes to the feelings of quite a few people on this earth. What exactly were the terrorists trying to prove? That America can actually be wounded? That this country has a soul? We always did, and we always will - but I do believe that the event provoked emotions that this country has not seen in quite a while.

People were carrying each other through the rubble. They were crying on each other's shoulders. When do you get to see New Yorkers cry? This carried on for months after. And then, like New Yorkers do - we strengthened our hearts and began to rebuild. We got up and went back to work; to the hustle and bustle of city living. 

We didn't forget, though. 

But did we lose the sensitivity? Has it gone back to the "mean streets of NY?" Honestly - growing up in NY, I don't think we have. As I bustled through the crowds last night, people actually said excuse me, and sorry. Almost got into a fight  - and the guy who started it all told us to have a good night. This is not the NY I'm used to. Things have changed, and I think the attitudes of a lot of us has changed with it. In fact, I think Floridians are a whole lot meaner than us Northerners. I dunno what all the hype and hooplah is about.

Watching the memorial today really choked me up today. The amount of names that were called is truly devastating. We lost that many human lives in one day? How could we not be moved? I just hope that this is a constant reminder that no man is an island. We'll all have to rely on someone at some time in our lives - especially during times of crisis like these. Who will you lend your shoulder to?




No comments:

Post a Comment