Tuesday, June 2, 2009

|| Shut Up and Drive - Just a Thought ||


{{Zune Says -
Paul Wall & Kanye West - Drive Slow}}

Sometimes, I feel the urge to be alone. I think it's a part of working in the Customer Service/Retail industry. You spend so much time smiling and solving people's problems - when it's time to wind down, you have nothing left. When I have that feeling, I fill up my tank, jump in the Civic and drive. It's the most therapeutic thing I can think of when I'm stressed. The cloak of darkness that late night provides is easy to understand. There's something sexy about being unseen, I think - especially when you're cruising with the window cracked just so.

The most interesting things happen to me when I'm driving at night. Most of the time it includes people trying to race me. Just 30 minutes ago, a 97 Mazda MX-6 jumped behind me and started riding my ass (pause). Of course, once he put his hazards on, I jumped out the lane and zoomed off. The exhilaration of the challenge is mostly making sure the cops don't appear out of nowhere. For a brief moment, we're in a race - but once one of us loses, it's back to the solace of my empty car. I love that feeling. No one to tell me to slow down, no one to egg me on. Just me, my thoughts, and the purr of my engine. Perfect.

These moments have been happening more often than not, lately. I find that I am jumping behind the wheel to escape just about everything. Life does that, sometimes. It's my guilty pleasure, but without the guilt. I love the feeling of control when I'm taking the on-ramp at 50mph. I love taking the long way home. Give me a good playlist and a tank full of gas - and I'll come home with a smile on my face.

Now, where are my keys?

No comments:

Post a Comment