Sunday, June 28, 2009

{{Un Ano Mas}} - Happy Born Day




Soo
- my birthday weekend has officially ended. I must say, I had a blast. Minimal conflict = maximum enjoyment. I
wasn't even mad when the rain cancelled my pool party.
The rain was beautiful - I loved running back and forth as the shower came in (minus the lightning, of course).Almost all the people I wanted there were there. All I ever want in life is to be around those I love, so when I can get most of them together in one happy place, I am overloaded with joy. First off - on my actual b'day (June 23) - I was greeted after work with Strawberry Cheesecake (my favorite!) I get excited about everything - but cheesecake is something I am truly passionate about. The cake was wonderful. I got a cupcake from a co-worker, and some Laceys, too. Definitely a sweeet birthday... Mom did her traditional Miss Lou (Jamaican) Birthday song and dance for me. I love when she does that, lol. It's silly, but I feel like I'm five again each time.

{{Tangent: I guess I really should get my driver's license turned around now, eh? I've been legal for two years already, and it still says Under 21 Until June 23, 2008}}


Anyway - it was an eventful week. I went to a Tanya Stephens concert. If you don't know who she is - Tanya Stephens is basically the Lauryn Hill of Dancehall culture. She speaks her heart, her mind, her soul - with a distinct voice and sound. She's got a gang of hits - "These Streets," "It's A Pity," and "Handle Di Ride" are a few to mention. "Be With You" is one of my favorites, though - where she lists famous men in the Dancehall industry and tells why she won't sleep with them. Her concert was intimate - mainly because we were in front of the stage (cuz the club was packed), and she was very warm and comfortable with the crowd. The highlights of the night for me were the white gentleman who bought her a drink while she was onstage, and a white dread young lady who knew every lyric. The dude impressed me not because he was white, but because he had to school this black dude on who Tanya Stephens is. That was awesome. Never mind that I danced my belt sideways, I was vibin too hard.

One thing I can say about my life - is that I am happiest when my family's around - no matter what the circumstances. We went Lazer Tagging instead of the traditional after-birthday club thing - and it was off the chain. People don't understand how thrilling running around in the dark can truly be.

{{Tangent: I'm watching the BET Awards - Keri Hilson is so beautiful. She's absolutely radiant.}}


Anywhoo
- back to my family. Regardless of how much money we have or spend on an event - we always enjoy ourselves. We don't even have to go anywhere - but put us in a public place - and it's pure mayhem. Lazer Tag was no different. We were in the parking lot for at least an hour - dancing and talking - we had a family discussion about Michael Jackson and everything. I love my family to death. Not to mention we ride or die - but that's another
discussion...




I was stalking Cousin Jan the whole night...



Followed by the usual spot, Denny's. Little known fact (soon to be well known) - sometimes when my insomnia is extra difficult, I drive to the same Denny's and order cheesecake and a cup of tea... Then I go home, and go to sleep.


We got stalked by a Denny's employee - who stared at us all night, which was pretty creepy. If you look in the background, you may see him lurking...




I learned a few things I already knew this birthday. Life is painfully short. A lot of times we as human beings focus on the aspects that don't truly matter in our worlds. When I'm on my death bed, I don't want to be thinking about all the bad things I've said or thought - I want to reflect on the things I enjoyed, the good I've left behind. I hope that keeping a positive attitude throughout my life will pay off in the end. My ultimate goal is to genuinely be happy. I think I'm on the right path. We must learn to cherish the small things. If you have only one friend - love that friend. Appreciate that friend. Make sure they know how much you do. If you have two dollars to your name, appreciate it. Spend wisely. There are few things in life that we can control - but the one thing we have power over is our attitudes throughout life. I go through every day thanking God for what I have, and who I share it with. Regardless of how much money I have (or don't have), or all the obstacles that come my way - this positive vibe is what keeps me going. I'm proud of that.

Thanks to everyone who shared my birthday with me. I am appreciative of all that I received, and everyone who showed me love. I can truly say I am happy - and it's all your fault. I hope you're proud of that. {{shakes finger}}

1 comment:

  1. very jealous that I didn't get to see Tanya or do laser tag - this damn wedding has me STRAPPED!

    ...birthday in the rain was cool, especially with that tape-worm (pre-murder)... "FINISH HIM!!!!!"

    check out the makeup I did at Centrals Next Top Model @ BCC ::ahem:: sorry, BC!

    http://www.thenameisjin.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete