Monday, July 5, 2010

Summer Body 2.0 - "You Are What You Eat"




"Judy got a booty from - heeeere to there..." 

So, my fitness journey continues - and I finally realize what I want from my body. I want to maintain my weight, decrease my waistline - but keep my upper and lower body at its current state. I must say - this is a difficult task. Trainers often don't promote "core" exercise; as they want you to work on every part of the body. Most of them say it doesn't work. I'm finding as I explore all my workout options - that it works for me. 

What plays a major role in how this all turns out -is what I eat. I used to be the girl that would eat anything; if you put it in front of me when I was hungry - it wouldn't stand a chance. Those were in the years when my metabolism was at peak - soccer drained me, I walked everywhere. Nowadays I don't have those luxuries, and it seems my stomach has shrunk. Regardless, I learned about a few foods that help along the way... 

Avocado (AKA Aguacate or "Pear"):

Growing up in the Islands, Avocado was a staple at every dinner. I can't lie, I didn't like them much as a child, but going into high school - I fell in love with them. A little salt, and I eat them alone. My mom loves them smeared on toast. Subway even has a new sandwich featuring the fruit - saw a commercial for it this morning while working out.



Avocado naturally lowers bad cholesterol (LDL), and raises the good cholesterol (HDL). It is also known to promote healthy skin and hair. I have noticed a better sheen to my hair when I eat one a day - but I attribute my skin to my mother, lol. Can't substitute good genes. 

Avocado also has 60 percent more potassium than bananas, and is high in monounsaturated fat, which is known as the "healthy fat" that we need in our eating regimens. They are rich in vitamins B, E and K (hence the benefits to the skin). 



At one point in time, I was eating one a day with a side of meat. They're filling and delicious! 

Grapefruit: 
Another tropic fruit I love. Back in Jamaica, it was the yellow grapefruit - but I absolutely adore the taste of ruby red. It's sweet enough that I can have it alone, or a sprinkle of sugar makes the regular ones just as good. 

They are loaded with Vitamin C - which we all know supports the immune system. Vitamin C helps reduce and eliminate the symptoms of a cold quickly and naturally. 

Grapefruits act as an anti-inflammatory, and also helps prevent free radical damage from toxins in the air. Inflammatory conditions include asthma, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. 

The pink color in grapefruit comes from Lycopene, which is known to fight tumors, and also helps reduce the chances of prostate cancer in men.  It is ranked one of the top fruits in antioxidant prodution.

The list goes on with grapefruit's benefits - but my favorite is its metabolism of fat. After any meal - a glass of grapefruit juice helps to remove fat from your system, helping you burn more during workouts and throughout the day. 

Turkey Meat:

No, it's not just for Thanksgiving. Ground dark turkey meat has been a fixture in my eating habits for the past few months. A bodybuilder/gym owner that is also a customer of mine at work recommended it to me. It has been working wonders since. It's loaded with protein, minimal fat, and also has vitamins as well (Vitamin B3 and B6). B6 helps process carbs, and reduce cardiovascular disease.  

Turkey meat is also high in Selenium, which in the medical world is known to help prevent cancer.  

I often pair an avocado with a turkey burger - then wash it down with a cold glass of grapefruit juice. Once a week - and I'm sure it'll make a change in anyone's weight goals. 

Hope you guys are making progress! 


No comments:

Post a Comment