Thursday, July 16, 2009

||Cafe Confessions|| Better To Be Seen Than Heard...




I hear the most interesting things when I'm on break at work. Being in such an affluent area, it's always a surprise when I hear customers say certain things. I guess I should expect it - we're all human, no matter what our tax bracket is...

"My last twelve-step program only lasted eight weeks - this one is six months!" Was the first thing that caught my ear. Her and her lunchmate went on to swap rehab stories, where the places were located, etcetera. Of course I'm not trying to listen - but when they're talking at 90 decibels instead of 40 - it's kind of hard to ignore. Then.

One of the women goes on to discuss her ex-husband. How much of a dog he is and whatnot. "First it was the chlamydia - then he gave me HP V. I caught so many things from that man, it's unbelievable." Mind you, I'm sitting at the table in front of them. One of them turned around while she was talking - looked at me, turned around - and continued. No shame, whatsoever.
It made me wonder - what some of the daily stresses are that wealthy/rich people encounter. I'm sure a majority of them are in unhappy relationships - but what else do they deal with? Abuse? Drugs? Illegal activities? Most of the rich people that cross my path at work have such a negative disposition. Many of them have their cell phones glued to their ears, cowering away from the realities that stand in front of them. Either that, or they're always in a hurry - rushing back to the life that constantly brings misery to them and the people they encounter in life. I wonder if they're rude and nasty to their friends.

These little overheard conversations are a voyeur's dream. They give us insight about the real lives of the rich and famous. Cuz trust me, plenty of famous (formerly and currently) people pass through on a weekly basis. Their lives are not all so glamorous and great, apparently. It makes me feel better about my normal life - with all its qualms and quirks. I've got to appreciate being upper middle class, cuz with money comes problems. And I'm pretty sure I don't need anymore stress in my life.


Hmph. And y'all think rich people got it good.

3 comments:

  1. "MO MONEY MO PROBLEMS"...END OF STORY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting insight. Ear hustling should be an olympic sport. Haha jk. But in all sincerity this a great piece. It seems as though our desire to achieve financial wealth comes at a severe cost. It's like we lose a little bit of humanity.

    The thing about money is that it gives you the opportunity to dictate your environment and the experiences you have. The more money the further removed you can be from the rest of society. I think this is one of the reasons why there is such a disconnect between rich people and everyone else.

    I want to be financial independent as soon as possible, but I want this so that I can merely choose my path in life rather than have it dictated to me. But as Biggie and Jheanell said,
    "Mo Money Mo Problems." Fantastic piece!

    Max Gibson
    wineandbowties.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly. I can't wait to gain financial wealth - but I aspire to be one of those who can have a piece of the pie - but still remember where the bakery is.

    I think as they become more detatched, they realize how unhappy they truly are. Which leads them to the lives that they end up living - drugs, infidelity, abuse. I can skip all that for sure.

    ReplyDelete