Wednesday, July 1, 2009

|| Kanye West - Amazing ||

Whether or not you get down wit Mr. West - you can't deny his energy...



Hype Williams revolutionized the music video, but I truly believe Kanye West brought emotion and energy back to the performance aspect. Gone are the days where scantily clad women gyrating and clapping are the norm. Don't get me wrong, they still appear prominently - but have you noticed that women are wearing more clothes and are less objectified in videos lately? It seems that a revolution , ehem - evolution has begun to take place. The Amazing video is a prime example of this change.


Very rarely can human beings come across music videos that lack actors, words or immense action and still be intrigued. I find this video captivating. The flames, the African drums - Kanye swinging his arms wildly in front of the fire. It makes me feel like he believes what he's saying. He really is a problem in the rap game. His metaphors and wordplay are impeccable. If they're not - he'll follow them with a verse that admits the fact. Sincerity is a big deciding factor in whether I purchase an artist's album.


Look at the scenery. How many of us can say we've flown over the Fiji Islands? Can many of us describe soaring above the Andes Mountains? Shoot, most of us have never left the country. Even then, I've never been to the Grand Canyon, so I could never describe the beauty that it possesses. The craftsmanship of videos like Amazing bring us to places we may never see. I've been blessed with the ability to travel out of the United States, but I can only dream of visiting certain exotic places at this stage in my life. The first time I watched Diamonds from Sierra Leone - I actually teared up. Kanye rapped with such conviction on that remix - not to mention the poor little African children with the permanently dilated pupils, searching through caves for the glittery rocks human beings idolize so much. That video prompted me to request a simulation diamond for my engagement ring. I refuse to purchase something that endangers lives in such a way. I can honestly thank Kanye West for enlightening me a bit further.



In the era of autotune, green screens and photoshop - it's nice to have a glimpse at what's real every once in a while. I think artists like Kanye raise the bar, not only musically - but in their choice of videos, as well. They make us regular folk strive for more, not just the glitzy jewelry and the pricey clothes - but the experiences that come with wealth. The opportunities of travel are not only extended to the famous - but those who can afford to make the trip. If that's not motivation to go out and get it - I don't know what is...

2 comments:

  1. YEAH i wasnt the biggest west fan before reading this article from him in complex mag. but he's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 100%. Kanye's has effectively redefined the music video making a lot of rappers videos obsolete. I admire his creativity. Thanks so much for the Watchmen suggestion, I love getting lost in a good book.

    Max Gibson
    wineandbowties.com

    ReplyDelete