Monday, July 27, 2009

"Mommy, What Are They Doing?" - Nature and Our Aversion to Sex...




So- this weekend, we took the kids to Jungle Island in Miami. It's a wonderful wild-animal habitat that overlooks the water. There are a great variety of animals and things to see at Jungle Island, but not so much as to become a tiring experience. We walked the whole compound and only one of the children complained - but she's known for that.

Anyway - we saw quite a few interesting things; We watched an animal show, where all kinds of exotic creatures were brought out. We saw ligers, a skunk, a wolf, a white tiger - the list goes on.


The kids were fully engaged in the show - some parts were corny to me, but they ate every minute of it. Please excuse LittleSister's face, lol.



The show informed us of all the things we like to know about wildlife - except for one thing -

As we were on our trail - we stopped to look at the baboons in their little habitat. Last year when Lou and I went - the gentleman baboon kept flashing his manjangles at me. I couldn't seem to get a pic of it, though - cuz he'd hide it whenever my camera came out. This time, he was ready and willing to show it for as long as he could - even going as far as to pee right in front of me.


Call me indecent - but you guys have to see this, too. Isn't it pretty?{{smile}}

Anyway - we were hamming it up with him - until his lady friend came down from her hammock. He proceeded to run over to her, "manually pleasure" her for about 30seconds - then - yes - he went to work. He did it for about a minute, then she really wasn't feelin it, so she walked away. I was in shock! Not for me, but because the kids were watching the whole time. Of course, little sister asks

"What are they doing?"


Initially - I started to make up some story, but then I realized that it was the perfect opportunity to introduce the theory of sex to her. Yes, she's eight - but in this day and age, children are hearing about sex in the wrong ways, at earlier and earliear ages. I figure I might as well educate her in the best way I can. So I told her they were having sex. She scratched her head - looked puzzled.

"It's what animals do when they want to practice making babies," I told her.

" Are they gonna have a baby now?"

"Maybe, love - we'll come back and see."

Lol - Okay - so I didn't go into all the dynamics of sex, but I have to start working it in now. My question is - why are parents so aprehensive about discussing sex with their children? Do they think that avoiding it will make it less likely to take place?

Argh - gotta go to work. We will continue this discussion when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment