Sunday, September 11, 2011

9|11|11 - NY Til I Die...

New York is my heart. My livelihood. I moved away and truly got the chance to recognize her beauty. She held me in her bosom for eighteen years; made me strong, made me smart, made me quick. I can't thank her enough. Being so far makes me want her even more - but I know the time apart brings us closer. I could talk about NY all day. 






September 11, 2001 really changed my perspective on the world. The freedoms we have as Americans.The simple pleasures like walking to the corner store at any time of night. Falling asleep on the Subway or Metro North until you get to your stop. The Macy's window at Christmas time. Helado on Fordham Road. The things I know and love!  You can't get that anywhere else. To know they could each be taken away in one series of events was terrifying. 
LittleSister @ Bryant Park this past winter...
My ironic fear of statues...
Metro North Life...


3/4 of my Littles and Lisa...


I can recollect the happenings of that day like it was yesterday. Time moved so slow. Being unable to find my family, my aunt walking home covered in ash. To think about it makes me sick sometimes. Yet, I am hauntingly proud to say I was there. I feel my chest puff up as I re-live my personal history of the event. I am a New Yorker - you can hear it in my speech, see it in my stance - note it in my constant sense of urgency. I will never change that. I can't. It's buried deep in my DNA. From the day my parents came to this country, NY was their home. And it became my heart. Mi corazon. And I thank God every day for keeping us safe - because so many didn't make it home to tell the tale. We are blessed to be able to tell our siblings about this day - so they too will remember. Lest we forget. NY til I die...


No sleep til Brooklyn... 
The nuances...




Now you see why I take pictures of everything...

No comments:

Post a Comment