Sunday, September 25, 2011

Ignorance Is Still Alive? RIP Jamey Rodemeyer...





A young 14 year-old boy took his life after posting a YouTube video titled, "It Gets Better." Jamey Rodemeyer was fed up with the torment he faced daily by bullies, torturing him because of his sexual orientation. He decided to create an encouraging video for his family and friends, and on September 19th - he made the final decision. 


In the year 2011, I ask this question - why does bullying still exist? I remember my sixth-grade year; storming across the Graham Elementary School playground towards the jungle gym. Grabbing a boy younger than me and giving him the hardest punch in the face that I could muster up. After he fell to the ground, I gave him one threat; if he pushed my little brother around one more time - I'd have more pain waiting for him. The boy picked on my brother for being eccentric; for playing with bugs instead of chasing girls around - for "talkin' white" at nine years old. Whose fault is that? What did he do to deserve it? To this day, I think that bullying had a serious effect on my brother and how he sees the world. All because he was different. 






These bullies need love. Mistreating other kids is an emotional outlet for the pain they're probably enduring at home. Making fun of someone is not because they're different - it's because they are suppressing their own personality to be who they feel they should be. Where are their parents? I have never seen a bully who had a loving, healthy family relationship at home.  If you have no home, where do you keep your heart? 


Unfortunately, we cannot save the world - but look what happens when nobody tries. The actions of a few can ruin the lives of many. Jamey had a family at home waiting for him to come home from school that day. As he recorded his  video - who was out there telling the bullies "it gets better?" Who told the bullies that they were loved? Probably no one. We as human beings have got to do better. Bullying takes place in every ethnic group, every culture, religion or other classification. It happens everywhere because love is a universal need. 


I encourage everyone to take a look around their homes. Are you giving your family love? Does someone look distressed or upset? Are there signs of depression in a loved one? Pay attention, and make a move. Before it's too late...


Before Jamey passed away, he sent a final goodbye tweet to his favorite music artist - Lady Gaga. She is an awesome advocate for equality.


"It Gets Better..."









No comments:

Post a Comment